Thursday, April 13, 2006

What Sarah Said

Tuesday came. Death Cab For Cutie just released their most recent project, a dvd compilation of 12 original short films inspired by songs off of the band’s latest release. Notice I don’t describe them as music videos because all of these pieces are made by lesser known directors expressing their unique interpretations in a less conventional way - some come from a commercial background, some as visual effects experts, and others have never been video directors at all. Being a huge fan of Jeffrey Brown’s comics (he lends his in "Your Heart is An Empty Room"), I had to pick this dvd up.




But it was Laurent Briet's piece that left me miserable. I'm using miserable here as a compliment. Maybe I was sensitive at the time I was watching it, but Briet's images are provoking, emotional, mysterious, and raw. Definitely stunning and my favorite out of the bunch. I don't think him being French has anything to do with it???

Here's a glimpse of his treatment.

The French version of 'loves me, loves me not' is much longer, and goes like this:
she/he loves me ....
a little ....
a lot ....
passionately ....
insanely ....
not at all ....

No arbitrary performances, less narrative, abstract - this is Directions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home